Wednesday 24 September 2014

Gingerbread and Aliens a Brilliant Combination.

This week I was given the wonderful opportunity to be the caretaker of a gorgeous little gift shop here in Cullen Bay, Darwin for a couple of days. This lead me to meeting some amazing people not only from our own beautiful huge backyard called Australia but tourists from all over our magnificent world.
I met a couple that had embarked on a cruise from Melbourne, but the cruise ship had broken down in Perth. Unperturbed they flew on up to Broome then finally to Darwin. A family that had flown to Alice Springs then driven around the Northern Territory visiting all the National Parks, including Katherine Gorge, Kakadu, and Litchfield and were finally in Darwin for a well earned rest.
Then there was the fabulous Irish couple that brought much laughter when they came into the shop. We were instant friends when they learnt my maiden name was “Branigan.” The fellow had a friend back home he was trying to buy a special gift for, the request seemed rather unusual. “Did I have by chance or know where he could purchase a small wooden model casket?” His friend, he offered by way of an explanation, was an undertaker and had seen one when he was over here on holidays. I wasn’t able to help my Irish friends, I was however able to help an American lady that was now residing here in Darwin.
She took one look at my book and exclaimed, “Gingerbread and Aliens! How brilliant! What a perfect combination to interest boys in reading.” She continued to inform me that I had hit the mark precisely for young boys choosing two subjects that they adore reading about. I couldn’t go wrong! Since living in Darwin she had resisted making gingerbread at Christmas because it was too difficult to roll out in our humidity but she had already agreed with her six year old that this year she would turn on the air conditioning and make some. She agreed both her boys would be so excited about the prospect of turning their gingerbread men into Gingerbread Aliens. I told her that if they did make some gingerbread aliens and took a photo or two I would be happy to add them to my website. This would also encourage her boys to read the story. She bought a copy of my book and asked me to sign it for her boys as it would be perfect not only for her six year old son but also for her eleven year old reluctant reader.
Before this I had found myself wandering around Mindil Markets, last Sunday evening, where I spotted a sign that reminded everyone that it was only 14 more Sundays til Christmas. How timely to notice that sign? This wonderful mum had also just reminded me it was time to begin to make plans for this Christmas. If you and your family are also into baking gingerbread men at Christmas, why not consider Gingerbread Aliens instead? Buy and read the book with the kids, have a great laugh, then have some fun in the kitchen as well. The recipe is available on both my sites, the links are below.
http://sandrabennettauthor.com/2013/06/05/16-simple-steps-to-cook-a-gingerbread-alien/
http://www.gingerbread-aliens.com/recipes.html
If you happen to be in Darwin, come on down to the gift shop, Shine Gifts, Cullen Bay & the Waterfront, Darwin, or for those further south or overseas you can purchase a copy here on my website, I’m happy to post anywhere in the world, there is still plenty of time before Christmas. Just click on the link below, my home page or the Gingerbread Aliens page.
If you prefer ebooks it is also available on Amazon where you will now see the special reduced price.
http://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Bennet/e/B00CB58LEO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
If you and your family enjoy reading Gingerbread Aliens and baking a few over Christmas, please take the time to not only send me a few photos to share, but to write a review on Amazon, GoodReads etc. It is a great educational experience for your children to see that their writing, along with yours, are valued.

1 comment: